Search Log Files
This Solution describes how to search your logs for a word, phrase, or regular expression, and how to search logs from a specific time period.
1. The Scalyr Agent should be installed on the server(s) you want to monitor, and should be configured to upload the log file(s) you want to search.
- In the navigation bar, click .
- Find each server in the list at the bottom of the page.
- Verify that each log file is listed next to the appropriate server.
If any server is not listed:
- If you have not installed the agent on this server, follow the Agent Installation guide.
- If you have already installed the agent, consult the Agent Troubleshooting guide.
If any log file is not listed:
- Follow the instructions in the Upload Multiple Log Files solution.
1. Open the log(s) to search.
- To search all logs, simply click in the navigation bar.
- To search a particular log, click , and click the link for the desired log file from the desired server.
2. To search for a word, such as "warning", you can simply type it in the Expression box:
To search for a phrase, enclose it in quotes:
To search for a regular expression, place a $ before the quotes:
Then click thebutton to search.
If, in step 1, you opened a specific log, the Expression box will contain some search terms selecting that log. Add your search term either before or after:
"deadline exceeded" ($logfile='/var/log/tomcat6/accesslog') $serverHost='your-server-name'
3. To search logs from a specific time period, edit the Time Reference for details.and boxes of the search form, and click the button to search. You can use a variety of date and/or time formats. See the